Friday, September 25, 2009

Prima Ballerinas?

Ankles with rather baggy tights...and we bought the smallest pairs available.


Emily

Madeleine

Last Monday Madeleine and Emily started their ballet careers. I was informed before their class "I'm going to show the teacher my moves!" by Miss Emily. It was suggested, perhaps, we let the teacher show us moves.

Anyhow, being a cheapskate I refused to enroll four-year-olds in the private studio, so we are doing thirty minutes a week through the park and rec dept. When it looks like this activity has scholarship potential, we'll look into more expensive lessons. In the mean time, we basically wanted to wear the clothing and "twirl". The girls had a great time at their first lesson and have asked every day since "Do we have ballet today?"



MadeleineEmily

Saturday we went to the local Farmers' Market and finally caved into the heckling to buy small pumpkins. Each girl picked out one little pumpkin and then we all picked out a "family pumpkin" to reach the 3 for $1 limit.

Emily and Madeleine wanted to paint their pumpkins which are now "creative"?

We had tried to grow pumpkins of our own (we carved our names in them and everything)....However. The vines were everywhere and I went out to trim them and try and regain some of the lawn and managed to cut the "supply vine" to the "Madeleine" and "Emily" pumpkins right before we left for Spokane. We came back and the "Schreiber" pumpkin was going strong...thank goodness. Then, a few days later I went to check on it, and noticed a smaller pumpkin near it. It was just in the process of turning from green to orange....I went to pick it up and it was a turtle. Who, sadly, had been snacking on the base of the "Schreiber" pumpkin...so it rotted from the bottom up. We will try again next year!

Today, Madeleine had "alone time" with me while Emily went to school. Emily's turn is Monday. We went to the store so Madeleine could pick out our lunch (Scooby Doo mac and cheese and canned mixed veggies - blech!), went to a cafe for a snack, came home and vacuumed the family room, folded laundry and put baby clothing on hangers for an upcoming consignment sale. We had a really nice time together and it completely reaffirmed that I hate having twins and am not good at it. I don't hate the girls, or parenthood, I just wish I could have had some time with each of them without the other one around - it doesn't matter if it is a few months with the first before the second comes, or the ability to send older kids to school and drive the younger one alone to school...such is life.